New York State gets US$100m of federal funding for green transportation projects


New York State Governor Andrew M Cuomo has announced the availability of US$100m in federal transportation funding to support and enhance community growth, revitalize downtowns, and reduce congestion and gas emissions.

The funds, made available to the state through the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and administered by the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), are provided through the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ).

The programs will provide up to 80% of project-related cost, with the remaining 20% provided by project sponsors, with NYSDOT accepting applications for funding until August 17. The new funding will support a range of projects, including the construction of pedestrian and bicycle facilities, recreational trails and safe routes to schools, as well as community improvements such as historic preservation and schemes to improve air quality.

Projects will be selected through a competitive solicitation process that rates proposals based on criteria that includes public benefit, air quality improvement, and finance or delivery innovation. Selected projects will also help municipalities meet the requirements of the USA’s Clean Air Act and the Americans with a Disabilities Act (ADA).

Projects must be related to the surface transportation system and provide full access to the public. Applications for funding may be developed by any municipality or non-profit incorporated group. Projects must be sponsored either by a municipality, a state agency, or public authority eligible to administer federal transportation funds.

Project activities eligible for the new funding include:

• Enhancement of traffic signals or intersections that improve traffic flow;

• The addition of accessible sidewalks;

• Construction of new bicycle and pedestrian facilities;

• Preservation and conversion of abandoned railroad corridors for trail use; and

• Establishment of travel demand programs that shift traffic demand to non-peak hours or other transportation modes.

“New York continues to build stronger, safer and cleaner communities by investing in projects that promote thriving downtowns,” noted Cuomo. “By securing this federal funding and making it available to our local communities, we can help ensure that New York will continue to attract businesses, generate new jobs, and encourage economic activity, while helping meet our goal of a cleaner, greener and safer state for all.”

NYSDOT’s acting commissioner, Paul A Karas, commented, “Governor Cuomo recognizes that regional economic competitiveness and growing communities revolve around providing strategic and innovative investments in transportation infrastructure. These funds provide invaluable resources for projects that promote healthy living, support recreation and tourism, and improve the air quality in our communities.”

Share this story:

About Author


Tom has edited Traffic Technology International (TTi) magazine and its Traffic Technology Today website since May 2014. During his time at the title, he has interviewed some of the top transportation chiefs at public agencies around the world as well as CEOs of leading multinationals and ground-breaking start-ups. Tom's earlier career saw him working on some the UK's leading consumer magazine titles. He has a law degree from the London School of Economics (LSE).