One of the USA’s market leaders in mechanical and electronic locks and locking systems for the security, safety and control of equipment, Medeco, has introduced a new retrofit electronic locking system to help protect the transportation industry’s roadside equipment.
In an era when transportation agencies are deploying increasingly sophisticated and expensive roadside equipment, it will become ever more important to protect these critical pieces of highways infrastructure.
As connected and autonomous vehicles (CAVs) are rolled out worldwide, their ability to communicate with the surrounding infrastructure will be critical to their safe operation and management. Legal and liability issues are also likely to become a concern for agencies operating these roadside assets, with detailed information needed on who has access to key equipment.
Virginia-based Medeco Security Locks, a division of ASSA ABLOY, has announced a new addition to its XT Intelligent Key family of products and launched the XT Traffic Box Lock. The new product is a simple retrofit lock solution for ITS traffic light boxes and intersection control cabinets that offers a quick and cost-effective way to add the security and accountability needed to help eliminate tampering with critical infrastructure components.
Medeco’s XT is a complete electronic locking system providing controlled access, accountability, physical security and system management. The company notes that it is more than just a way to protect property, equipment and assets, as the XT system is also a business tool that can lead to a substantial return on investment.
The XT product range adds a wide variety of intelligent features without compromising on physical security, with an attack-resistant design and tamper-proof features that provide strong protection against forced entry.
Medeco’s XT Traffic Box Lock and Intelligent Key System features:
• Retrofit into existing hardware, with no modifications required;
• No wiring needed, as all power is provided by the key;
• Indoor / outdoor use, with stainless steel shell construction;
• Small, robust electronic key with stainless steel housing;
• Rechargeable battery, up to 1,800 openings per charge (when unlock time is set to 0.8 seconds);
• Intelligent key holds all access and schedule data, with up to 2,000 audit events;
• Unauthorized key list;
• Variety of retrofit cylinder formats;
• Offers audit accountability, electronic scheduling; physical security, and visual audit;
• Standalone, network, internet, mobile and Bluetooth programming options.
“Cyberattack is a constant threat today,” said Gene Cronin, Medeco’s XT product line manager. “All across America, the flow of traffic in our cities is regulated by intelligent traffic system (ITS) boxes that are located on every street corner. ITS boxes protect the hardware that controls the traffic lights.
“A simple retrofit lock solution like our XT Traffic Box Lock is the quickest, most cost-effective way to add the accountability necessary to help eliminate tampering, and to help secure the advanced equipment contained within these cabinets.”