The US Department of Transportation (USDOT) is highlighting its participation at the 25th ITS World Congress, which is taking place in the Danish capital, Copenhagen, this week (September 17-21), with senior agency staff contributing to several sessions and discussions.
Attended by the leaders in smart mobility from around the world, the theme of this year’s event is ‘ITS – Quality of Life’, and the Congress will include presentations and sessions, demonstrations, and exhibition booths and events.
The USA is a leading force in ITS research and development, so several USDOT leaders and staff will be in attendance to discuss the department’s latest efforts and projects.
As a key industry figure, Kenneth Leonard (right), director of the USDOT’s ITS Joint Program Office (ITS-JPO), will speak during the Opening Ceremony today (September 17), as well as participate in and host several panel discussions.
The highlights of the USDOT’s participation include:
Wednesday, September 19
• SIS48: Effective Measures of Success – The US Connected Vehicle Pilots – USDOT speakers: Kenneth Leonard, ITS JPO (Moderator); Kevin Gay, ITS JPO. An overview of the agency’s three CV pilot projects in New York City, Tampa and Wyoming, which will have significant implications for the future of all connected and cooperative vehicle deployments.
• SIS51: Autonomous Freight Vehicles – Benefits, Risks, and Governance – Speakers: Wiley Deck, USDOT’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, (FMCSA). An overview of autonomous truck technology and trials in the USA and Europe.
• Intelligent Vehicle Testing Symposium – ‘The Future of Global Intelligent Vehicle Testing’ Panel – Speakers: Kenneth Leonard, director, USDOT ITS-JPO. Discussion of some of the future implications of real-world testing in terms of policy, regulations and standards.
• SIS54: Establishing a Large-scale Security Credential Management System for V2X Communication – Speakers: Kevin Gay, USDOT ITS-JPO; Robert Kreeb, USDOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Thursday, September 20
• ES09: Delivering Effective, Cooperative, Connected and Automated Mobility (CCAM) – Speakers: Kenneth Leonard, director, USDOT ITS-JPO. Overview of use of CCAM-sourced data, latest V2I communications, the DSRC v. 5G debate, and the development of CCAM infrastructure.
• ES10: The Real Impacts of CCAM – Speakers: Martin Knopp, associate administrator, Office of Operations, FHWA, USDOT.
• TS50: Security – Raymond Resendes, USDOT’s Volpe Center – ‘Application of a cybersecurity framework to a connected vehicle deployment’.
For further information about the World Congress timetable, activities and events, go to: itsworldcongress.com
The 2018 ITS World Congress App is now available to download. Search for ITS 2018 Copenhagen in the App Store or Google Play.