WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking a Materials/Assistant Office Engineer to fill a vacancy located at the Tumwater Project Engineer Office. In this role, you will be responsible for managing material approvals and acceptance documentation in support of the delivery of highway construction projects. The incumbent in this position will track and communicate test results using established computer programs and manages the project materials documentation file. This position is expected to assist in many aspects of contract administration including change orders, progress payments, and other office engineering support. The person in this position will also have the opportunity to grow their leadership and management skills, as they may be asked to direct and provide training to staff. Our top candidate has a contract administration and construction background, can comfortably perform office documentation, has great communication skills, and enjoys working as part of a team.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Document materials for all contracts administered by the project office.
- Communicate and coordinate with State Materials Lab, Olympic Region Materials Lab, Fabricators, Contractors, and Subcontractors to resolve material related inquiries or issues.
- Review and approve the documentation of pay notes for completeness.
- Provide supervision and direction to technicians in sampling and testing of materials for acceptability and approval.
- Determine the acceptability of the materials during progress estimate preparation.
- Assist with preparation, processing, and execution of all contract payment related items.
Successful candidates are required to have:
- Two years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1 or equivalent;
- A Master’s degree with major study in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Mechanics, or a closely related field.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction specifications, materials documentation and certification processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of contractor/owner relationships and basic contract law.
- Proficiency utilizing computers with the ability to enter data into the computer programs such as the Materials Tracking Program (MTP), Share Point, Statistical Acceptance of Materials (SAM) program, CCIS, CAPS, CADD, Microsoft Office Suite and other programs.
- Knowledge of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) & American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials (AASHTO) materials specifications and testing procedures.
- Knowledge, understanding, and the ability to apply engineering principles, methods and practices.
- Ability to review, track, and verify contractor submittals to ensure compliance with contract documents.
- Certification as a Certified General Inspector within six months of appointment and subsequent Division Certification as assigned to the position.
- Working knowledge of standards related to highway design, contract administration and documentation.
- Ability to develop and review engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Ability to routinely lift, manipulate, and transport up to 35 pounds of various materials/ equipment while traversing uneven terrain.
- Ability to clearly communicate both orally and in writing.
- A valid Driver’s License.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A Cover Letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30097.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.