WA State Department of Transportation
Please note that the current salary range does not reflect the Legislative approved general wage increase, effective July 1, 2019. This recruitment may be used to fill non-permanent appointments.
The Olympic Region Traffic Crew is currently seeking to fill several Maintenance Technician positions. This presents an opportunity for on the job training on a few of our region-wide crews including the Work Zone Traffic Control Crew, the Raised Pavement Marker (Button) Crew, and the Thermoplastics Crew. These crews will report to Tumwater, but are often required to travel for extended durations across the Olympic Region, which includes travel to Forks, Port Angeles, Tacoma, and Aberdeen. We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are mechanically inclined and enjoy the outdoors. We are in need of a wide variety of skilled, hardworking people to fill these positions.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Based on needs of the Region-Wide Traffic Crew, these positions could perform the following work:
Striping: Operate vehicles used to provide a mobile work zone. Fill in on the striping truck during striping operations. Assist in loading supplies and maintenance of crew vehicles. Place traffic control signs in construction areas.
Buttons: Remove and install Raised Pavement Markers (RPM). Switch between operating the Skid Steer with grind head and the street sweeper. Operate Traffic Control Vehicle and set traffic control signs and cones.
Traffic Control: Conduct all types of traffic control operations in accordance with the Federal Manual Union of Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and WSDOT’s Work Zone Traffic Control Guidelines. Use various traffic control devices and equipment such as signs, cones, traffic drums, and truck mounted variable message signs. Disassembling traffic control devices.
Plastic Markings: Assist in performing highway maintenance activities in removal and installation of pavement markings. Under the guidance of the lead tech, this position will determine the replacement needs for pavement markings region wide. Schedule personnel, equipment, and material accordingly set forth by state standards. Operate traffic control vehicles as required.
Note: These are in-training positions that offer a career path and on-the-job training for full time opportunities. These positions allow you to progress through the Maintenance Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Maintenance Technician 2. Candidates will be considered as a Maintenance Technician Trainee, 1 or 2, depending on their qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Maintenance Trainee: $30,972 – $37,260
Maintenance Technician 1: $37,260 – $45,096
Maintenance Technician 2: $40,908 – $49,752
Required qualifications for a Maintenance Trainee
- Have the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A license without airbrake restrictions within first 12 months of employment.
- Have at least (6) six months of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
Required qualifications for a Maintenance Technician 1
- Have a Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class B without airbrake restrictions. (Must obtain Class A within first 6 months of employment).
- Have at least (1) one year of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
Required qualifications for a Maintenance Technician 2
- Have a Washington State Driver License with CDL Class A including N endorsement without airbrake restrictions.
- Have more than (2) two years performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
In addition to the above candidates are also required to have:
- The ability to work all shifts.
- The ability to travel to locations outside of the Tumwater area, including overnight stays and extended working hours.
- At least basic computer skills.
- A current Traffic Control Flagging card or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Experience in traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs, and flagging.
- Experience maintaining roadway features such as RPM’s, paint lines or reflective features.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click here. You may need to create an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to provide specific information detailing your work history in the “work experience” section of the application AND answer the supplemental questions. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your driving record from the Department of Licensing.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30926m.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.