WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Olympic Region has an exciting opportunity in the Tumwater Project Engineering Office as a Transportation Technician 3. As a Transportation Technician 3 you will serve as an assistant inspector, Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) technician and perform materials testing of highway construction projects. This position supports the department’s mission by assisting in the preparation of Plans, Specifications, Estimates (PS&E), reports, and other documents that will be used to improve the safety, quality, and capacity of State’s transportation system. The successful candidate will have the ability to work independently and as part of a team to make sound recommendations for improvements.
Benefits that matter to you!
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this this excellent opportunity.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers outstanding benefits, a generous amount of paid time off, a choice of state retirement programs including a defined benefit pension plan, advancement opportunities, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information regarding our comprehensive benefits package.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the TT3 will:
- Participate in the development of pre-activity safety plans and makes them an integral part of work.
- Use Microstation (CADD), Microsoft Office Suite, and other engineering programs as required to develop plan sheets and graphics.
- Perform materials sampling, testing, data input, and documentation.
- Perform duties of an assistant Inspector and materials tester on complex construction projects.
- Prepare documentation on completed construction work including Inspectors daily reports.
- Assist in surveying, scoping, design, and PS&E development.
- Review and solve basic engineering and surveying problems using math skills.
- Track and maintain all necessary trainings and certifications to complete duties.
Note: This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Technician 1, Transportation Technician 2, or Transportation Technician 3, depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Technician 1: $38,376 – $51,240 Annually
Transportation Technician 2: $47,568 – $64,008 Annually
Transportation Technician 3: $53,904 – $72,432 Annually
Required qualifications at the TT1 level includes the following:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
Required qualifications at the TT2 level includes at least one of the following:
- Two (2) years of experience performing basic technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 1 or equivalent work such as inspecting construction projects, materials testing, or designing and/or drafting document/plans using CADD.
- Three (3) years minimum experience as a Maintenance Technician or above; one (1) year must be as a Maintenance Technician 2 or higher.
Required qualifications at the TT3 level includes at least one of the following:
- Two (2) years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent work such as inspecting construction projects, materials testing, or designing and/or drafting document/plans using CADD.
- An Associate’s degree in Engineering, Math, Science or related field.
- Completion of a technical program of at least 1,200 instructional hours.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have (all training is provided by WSDOT during working hours):
- Certification as a qualified tester (WAQTC/ACI/WSDOT) for sampling materials, concrete testing, nuclear density testing, aggregate gradation, and grout cubes including being proficient in all required databases or ability to obtain within 6 months of appointment.
- WAQTC certification for sampling and testing hot mix asphalt or the ability to obtain within 12 months of appointment.
- Within 6 months of appointment acquire certification as a Certified General Inspector.
- Proficiency in engineering and design software such as Microstation within 12 months.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the PS&E preparation process and basic math to solve engineering problems.
- The ability to clearly communicate by telephone, letter, computer, or in person.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of contractor/owner relationships and contract administration.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 40 pounds of various materials/equipment while traversing uneven terrain.
- The ability to consistently and reliably work different schedules including nights and weekends.
- The ability to perform duties in inclement weather adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment.
- Working knowledge of preparing and reviewing engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple assignments.
- Basic knowledge of lnRoads for drafting or plan sheet and graphic preparation is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A Cover Letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-32569.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.