WA State Department of Transportation
*Please note: This recruitment may be used to fill additional permanent and non-permanent positions.*
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has exciting career opportunity for an experienced trades professional who loves working outdoors and embraces challenges. The Olympic Region is seeking to fill a Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 position on the Region-wide Bridge Crew. This experienced technician will have a personal commitment to safety while assisting in preventative and general maintenance, repair, and inspection of fixed span, movable, and floating bridges throughout the region. The successful candidate will play a critical role in ensuring the safe and efficient movement of goods, services and people.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Perform journey-level maintenance and repairs of bridges and structures, including bridge roadways, bridge sidewalks, expansion joints, headers, and bridge railings.
- Work on steel truss bridges maintaining steel sway frames, vertical and diagonal beams, and bearings.
- Work on timber bridges, changing timber bridge caps, piles, cross bracings.
- Operate Class A, B, and C Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) equipment.
- Repair spalls and cracks in concrete bridge elements.
- Build forms, tie steel, and pour concrete to repair deteriorated or traffic damaged columns or bridge rails.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations such as percentages, ratios, and conversions.
- Set up traffic control signing and transitions.
- Maintain, wash, and perform minor repairs on tools and equipment.
- Safely use a wide range of tools such as welders, hoists, grinders, drills, chain saws, torches, and large hydraulic jacks.
- Wash bridges using high-pressure water equipment.
- Travel out of town on per diem up to 50% work schedule.
Required qualifications include at least one of the following:
- Journey level standing in a construction trade as attested by:
Completion of recognized apprenticeship or;
Full journey status in a trade union or;
Four years of experience as a full-time helper to a journey worker in the specified trade.
- High school diploma or GED certificate and two years of experience as a Maintenance Technician 2.
- Equivalent education/experience.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have:
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) without airbrake restriction with N endorsement or the ability to obtain within six (6) months.
- A Flagger Certification or the ability to obtain within six (6) months.
- A First-Aid/CPR Certification or the ability to obtain within six (6) months.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights exceeding 100 feet, over land or water.
- Ability to report to the Tumwater Maintenance Facility with a 60-minute response time for emergencies.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed, work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency callout/standby.
- Ability to move and lift objects weighing in excess of 50 pounds in a safe manner.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large “apply” button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to:
- Answer the supplemental questions completely.
- Attach a resume (optional).
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30324.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.