WA State Department of Transportation
The Opportunity: WSDOT is seeking an innovative engineer to join our team as the Office Engineer – Transportation Engineer 3! This position reports to the Assistant Business Manager for the SR 520 Montlake to Lake Washington J/C and Bridge Replacement (Montlake Phase) Design-Build Project, and exists to provide contract administration support to ensure that both WSDOT and the Design-Builder/Contractor are in compliance with the Contract.
This position may be responsible for supervising 1-2 employees during peak work periods. To thrive in this position, the qualified individual will need to be a self-starter, embrace continuous process improvement, be adaptable in a collaborative work environment, and have a strong commitment to advancing the policy goals of WSDOT.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will perform the following work:
Monitor, track, and report contract compliance elements including but not limited to Contractor sublets, MSVWBE and/or DBE participation requirements, wage rates, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training when applicable.
Review documents submitted by the Contractor, tracking submittals, facilitating the approval process, tracking, and routing to appropriate external reviewers as necessary, and providing status reporting.
Perform MSVWBE and/or DBE on-site reviews for design and other non-contractor related firms.
Ensure work performed by WSDOT project staff is in accordance with appropriate frequencies.
Monitor Design-Builder/Contractor compliance with prompt pay and requirements associated with the subcontracted work.
Ensure compliance with contract requirements and WSDOT processes for monthly progress payments through the CAPS system. May involve coordinating the payment process for the Design-Builder’s monthly invoices.
Ensure that information for the contract is kept updated in CCIS.
Conduct audits (contract compliance reviews) of the Design-Builder’s work as it
relates to contract compliance requirements. Coordinate the resolution of any non-compliance issues (NCl’s) that result from an audit, with the Design-Builder.
Other duties as assigned.
One (1) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent
Ability to read and understand complex construction plans, provisions and standards
Proficient in the use of computer programs including MS Excel and MS word
Valid Driver’s License
· Three (3) years of progressively responsible civil engineering experience, at least one of which has been as a Transportation Engineer 2 assistant office engineer or equivalent with demonstrated, comprehensive understanding of construction administration functions and processes.
· At least one year of experience supervising staff members; be able to complete assignments, provide supervision and training to subordinates, and give directions in an independent manner with limited oversight
· Supervisory and mentoring skills necessary to lead a diverse group of engineers and technicians in the inspection of design-build construction work
· Ability to interpret and explain complex structural/civil engineering plans to team members, contractors, local agencies, and members of the public as needed
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
· A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date
· A Letter of Interest detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
· A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies
For inquiries about this position, please contact Josephina Mutascu via email to MutascJ@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-80254.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.