WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Olympic Region is seeking to fill a Maintenance Technician 2 position located in Port Orchard, WA. This position will perform a variety of skilled labor including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, establishing and maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, maintaining roadside vegetation, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy maintenance work, consider applying to this position.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Maintain roadways, including ditching, patching, and hauling materials.
- Winter snow and ice removal.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Effectively use radio and phone equipment to communicate with other crew members and lead technician.
- Maintain roadway features such as guardrail, signs or reflective features.
- Safely operate Class A, B and C equipment with trailers in all weather conditions day or night.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Chemically, manually, and mechanically control vegetation.
- Highway debris removal, including danger tree removal.
- Perform minor preventative maintenance and minor mechanical repairs on equipment.
- Visibly demonstrate your commitment to the Department’s safety program
Note: This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Maintenance Technician field, achieving the goal class of a Maintenance Technician 2. Candidates will be considered as a Maintenance Technician 1 or Maintenance Technician 2 depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Maintenance Technician 1: $37,260 – $45,096
Maintenance Technician 2: $40,908 – $49,752
An ideal candidate at the Maintenance Technician 1 level will have:
- At least one (1) year of experience performing roadway maintenance, roadway construction or closely related experience.
- A valid Class B CDL without air brake restriction with current medical card.
An ideal candidate at the Maintenance Technician 2 level will have:
- At least two (2) years of experience roadway maintenance, roadway construction or closely related experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience operating and performing preventative maintenance with vehicles 15,000 GVW or greater.
- Valid Class A CDL with N endorsement without air brake restriction with current medical card.
- A valid Flagger Certification and Maintenance Traffic Control Certification.
An ideal candidate at either level will also have:
- High school diploma or GED.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a WSDA Pesticide Applicator License within one year of employment.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- The ability and willingness to work different and/or extended shifts, days, nights and weekends, holiday, and perform emergency call-out/standby.
- The ability to move and transport objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Strong skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- The ability to report in service to assigned duty station within 1 hour for after-hours call or be willing to relocate in order to meet this requirement.
- Experience in residential, commercial, agricultural, or roadway maintenance or construction including use of power tools and heavy equipment is preferred.
- Experience in Highway Maintenance program is preferred.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click here. You may need to create an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to provide specific information detailing your work history in the “work experience” section of the application AND answer the supplemental questions. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your driving record from the Department of Licensing.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30333.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.