WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking a motivated individual with strong technical and engineering skills to fill a vacancy in the Fife Project Engineering Office. This position will be responsible for Quality Verification of construction Design-Build transportation projects. In this role, you will play an important part in the success of delivered projects by performing quality verification of heavy civil construction work; providing input during constructability reviews to designers who are completing final design; and performing quality verification audits of design submittals and construction work. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of agency polices, standards and procedures as well as construction quality assurance, transportation engineering principles, practices and methods. It is essential that the successful candidate has excellent communications skills and can provide input on complex construction engineering issues.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Benefits that matter to you!
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this this excellent opportunity.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers outstanding benefits, a generous amount of paid time off, a choice of state retirement programs including a defined benefit pension plan, advancement opportunities, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information regarding our comprehensive benefits package.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the TE2 will:
- Inspect, monitor, and audit construction activities to ensure contract requirements are being met. Some of the construction activities include, but are not limited to, drilled shafts, structural concrete replacement, excavation, embankment, grading, drainage, utilities, surfacing paving, striping, signing, illumination, form and concrete placement and piling.
- Perform reviews and audits of construction materials approval, acceptance, testing, and field verification.
- Provide guidance to WSDOT technicians and contractors regarding inspection procedures and requirements, and provide documentation preparation.
- Effectively utilize design software to complete designs.
- Train, lead and direct team members.
- Perform materials testing as needed.
- Coordinate projects with various internal and external groups/agencies.
- Occasionally, travel to various locations around the state.
Candidates for this position are required to have at least one of the following:
- Two years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1 or equivalent experience such as quality assurance inspector for public works projects.
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) and one year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1 or equivalent experience such as quality assurance inspector for public works projects.
- A Master’s degree with major study in civil engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, soil mechanics, traffic, transportation or a closely related field.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have:
- Solid understanding of engineering principles and mathematics formulas including knowledge of trigonometry as applied to the computation of angles, areas, and distances.
- Experience operating survey equipment including but not limited to total station, level, survey rod, back sights, and measuring tape.
- The ability to work in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions.
- Exceptional communication skills both in the written and verbal form.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- The ability to lift, manipulate and transport up to 40 pounds of various materials/ equipment while traversing uneven terrain.
- Certified General Inspector Certification or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Certification in the following construction materials testing procedures: structural concrete sampling and testing, embankment and asphalt density testing, grout cubes and geo-textile sampling within one year of hire.
- The ability to consistently and reliably report scheduled shifts and work varying shifts, including nights and weekends as needed.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Certification as an Engineer In-Training.
Roadway, drainage and sidewalk/ramp construction inspection knowledge and/or experience.
- Experience with constructability reviews of design plans for heavy civil construction.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A Cover Letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30515.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.