WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking an experienced engineering professional with exceptional leadership skills to fill the Assistant Project Engineer vacancy in the SR 167 Completion Office, located in Fife. The Assistant Project Engineer (APE) works closely with the SR 167 Completion Project Engineer and Design Manager to lead and manage an engineering office of approximately seven staff and ensure deliverables are completed on time, within budget, and meet WSDOT quality standards. Strong communication skills are vital in this role, as the APE is responsible for coordinating and cooperating with region support groups, HQ, and project stakeholders to accomplish agency goals and expectations. This position will also promote training and development for professional growth, employee safety, workforce diversity and accountability.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Recommend approval of design changes, work methods, material substitution, and assist in the development of design and construction schedules.
- Collaborate and build effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Review deliverables for accuracy and quality.
Assist the Project Engineer with providing support services during the construction phase.
- Work closely with the Gateway Program Management Organization to communicate progress, needs, issues, outreach, and general program coordination issues.
- Assist the Project Engineer to initiate personnel and staffing actions necessary to deliver the project.
- Assume authority of Project Engineer when absent.
Required qualifications include:
- A Professional Civil Engineer’s License.
- At least five (5) years of extensive highway design experience.
- Strong knowledge of the highway design and construction principles and practices, contracting methods and procedures, and program accountability.
- At least one (1) year of supervisory experience.
- Strong skills in establishing plans and setting goals to achieve success, monitoring progress, making adjustments, measuring performance, and reporting actual progress.
- Effective communications skills both verbally and in writing.
- Timely decision making to keep the project moving forward.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Certification/Completion of Ethics in WA State government training.
- One (1) year of progressively responsible design experience as a licensed professional engineer on highway projects.
- Two (2) years of experience managing/supervising a diverse workforce of engineers and technicians.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A Cover Letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-WMS-3W131.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.