WA State Department of Transportation
NOTE: We have multiple positions available throughout the Olympic Region: Aberdeen, Lacey, Port Angeles, Port Orchard, Tumwater, and Fife. This posting will be used to establish a pool of qualified candidates from now until June 17, 2019. As open positions arise, qualified candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is currently looking for enthusiastic engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. We are seeking entry-level, journey-level engineers or those with a projected graduation date within six months, who want to participate in supporting some of the most important infrastructure projects in Washington State. Your work will be within a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office and will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency. Be a part of a team whose mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to communities and businesses!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Depending on your assignment, you may perform the following work:
- Perform general inspection on highway construction projects including materials inspection and testing.
- Document construction inspections to ensure projects are in conformance with contract plans, permits, and regulations.
- Interpret data, identify problems and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
- Serve as a designer performing a variety of skilled project development work.
- Assist with design and development of plans, specifications, and estimates working in both the office environment and doing field exploration.
- Develop and check engineering design calculations and drawings.
- Effectively utilize design software to complete designs.
- Communicate orally and in writing with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: These in-training positions offer a career path and on-the-job training, and allow you to progress through the Transportation Engineer field, achieving the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2 depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Engineer 1: $52,332 – $70,320
Transportation Engineer 2: $57,708 – $77,616
An ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering or closely related field or a projected graduation date within six months.
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or ability to obtain within six months.
- Solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Proficient use of computer, including knowledge of engineering and computer aided drafting software applications.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with contractor’s activities, including working long hours and nights.
- The ability to obtain and maintain certifications for construction materials testing.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 40 pounds.
- A valid driver’s license and be able to safely travel from site to site to provide field support.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2388322/transportation-engineer-2-in-training-olympic-region. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions. As part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a cover letter. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-TE2InTrainingPool.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.