WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Olympic Region has an opportunity in the Aberdeen Project Engineering Office as a Transportation Technician 3. In this role, you will independently perform a variety of skilled technical tasks in support of engineering projects, such as: checking calculations, using computer programs to resolve engineering problems, verifying estimates, developing design documentation, etc. Depending on office need, this position may be placed as an inspector on for smaller, less complex highway construction projects.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Perform computer aided drafting for design (CADD).
- Ensure accurate application of drafting standards and file management.
- Review accuracy and completeness of all drafting work.
- Prepare design documentation as a result of the scoping process.
- Prepare plans, specifications, special provisions, and estimates.
- Use engineering software (InRoads and Microstation) to develop designs and plans.
- Communicate design options and procedures orally and in writing to the public, other agencies and to WSDOT management.
- Provide technical training and mentoring to co?workers.
- Occasionally be placed as an inspector on for smaller, less complex highway construction projects.
Note: This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Technician 2, or 3, depending on their qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Technician 2: $47,568 – $64,008 Annually
Transportation Technician 3: $53,904 – $72,432 Annually
Required qualifications include at least one of the following:
- Two (2) years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associates degree in civil engineering or a closely related field.
- Certification as an Engineer-in-Training.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have:
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering principles, methods and practices.
- Proven skills in researching and interpreting contract provisions, plans, drawings and details.
- Experience in communicating to a variety of audiences, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform and check engineering calculations.
- Proven skill in planning, scheduling and tracking the activities of tasks.
- Experience in reviewing engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Experience in being able to effectively work both individually and within a diverse team environment.
- Experience adhering to safety policies and diligence in performing work in a safe manner.
- Experience in working independently and prioritize workload and handle multiple assignments.
- Proven track record of consistently and reliably being at work and to work additional hours if necessary.
- A valid Driver’s License.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Three years as a Transportation Technician 2 or an equivalent classification.
- An Associate degree in civil engineering technology, surveying, drafting, computer science or other closely related field, or equivalent vocational technical program consisting of at least 1200 instructional hours in the above fields and three years of experience performing basic technical engineering or transportation work.
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, transportation, engineering or computer science.
- Knowledge in the use of In Roads for design projects per WSDOT standards.
- Knowledge in the use of Microstation for plan sheet development per WSDOT standards.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A Cover Letter detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
- A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30824.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.