WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Olympic Region is seeking a Maintenance Lead Technician at Area 3 Maintenance Facility in Discovery Bay. This experienced technician leads by example and has a personal commitment to safety while coordinating daily work activities such as heavy equipment operations, providing roadway maintenance for sub-sections of highways, and lead personnel in performing the maintenance on roadway, drainage, roadside, highway safety features and snow and ice operations. The Maintenance Lead Technician will assist the Maintenance Supervisor in the planning of work, scheduling of crews and equipment as well as complete records and reports.
Due to the nature of the work, shifts for these positions may include day or night, rotating or weekend, and may require overtime work on short notice, standby, and call-out. WSDOT Olympic Region maintenance personnel are expected to report to the duty station within 60 minutes for an after hours call for emergency response.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor by coordinating and overseeing staff to perform essential roadway maintenance operations.
- Perform such work as inspecting, cleaning and maintaining culverts, catch basins, and ditches; repairing guardrail and roadway surfaces; blading shoulders and removing debris; plowing snow and sanding/de-icing roads; and cutting brush.
- Safely provide proper traffic control for all work operations and emergency road closures.
- Operate vehicles up to 54,000 GVW.
- Perform preventive maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Respond to accidents and material spills.
- Inspect right-of-ways for illegal signs and encroachments.
- Maintain daily diary to record work performed and identify issues.
- Lead and schedule work for Maintenance Technician staff.
- Be subject to contingency scheduling, overtime on short notice, and emergency call-outs/stand-by.
- Maintain accurate records and reports for personnel, equipment, inventory, and materials.
- Complete third party damage reports and inventory control forms.
- Steward safety programs by knowing and enforcing the established WSDOT/WAC safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in the development and implementation of pre-activity safety plans prior to performing work activities.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Four (4) years highway maintenance or closely related work experience.
- Experience leading or supervising work crews, including addressing and resolving problems.
- A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Ability and willingness to work all shifts including nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency callouts/stand-by.
- Strong basic computer skills (such as Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to manipulate and transport up to 50 pounds of many types of materials/equipment.
- Must be able to report in service at assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after hours call.
- Knowledge of the surrounding area is preferred.
- Possession of valid Traffic Control Flagger Card with experience in traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs, and flagging.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click here. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a cover letter. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Condition of Employment: The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30372.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.