WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Region-wide Sign Crew is seeking a Maintenance Specialist 2 to assist a team of maintenance professionals in the maintenance, repair, and installation of traffic control signs. These signs provide uniformity, guidance, and safety for all elements of the traveling public including vehicular traffic, pedestrian traffic, and bicycle traffic. In this job, the incumbent will perform inspections of reflectivity and overall sign conditions while utilizing a variety of hand and power tools, install and maintain signage, as well as assist in reviewing work orders for replacing and installing new signs. Safety and communication are very important to all traveling on our state roads.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Comply with safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Build, load, install and repair signs of all sizes.
- Operate forklift, crane, boom, man lift and other heavy equipment.
- Lay out and train others in performing proper traffic control.
- Maintain, repair and installation of impact attenuators.
- Work with Traffic Office by performing site reviews, stake and submit locates for new sign locations.
- Provide field data for design and seek clarification and prioritization of assignments as required.
- Prepare estimates for third party damage and special projects.
- Assist in ordering materials.
- Clean signs, and inspect for damage.
- Assist region Striping and Pavement Markings Crews.
- Provide support to roadway maintenance crews including snow and ice removal, litter control, tree and brush control, roadway surface maintenance and guardrail repair.
- Other work as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- Two (2) years of experience as a Highway Maintenance Technician or equivalent experience.
- Commercial Driver’s License Class A, with Endorsement N without air brakes.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- The ability to travel to locations outside of the Vancouver area, including overnight stays and extended working hours.
- Ability to report in service to assigned duty station, within 45 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency call-outs/stand-by.
- Basic computer skills to receive and send email, use the Internet, and enter information into computer programs, forms and mobile technology devices.
- Ability to lift and transport objects weighing up to 50 pounds in safe manner.
- Skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- A current flagger’s card or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience operating a wide variety of hand and power tools, equipment and machinery.
- Experience working with designated hazardous materials.
- Experience performing traffic control.
- Experience and/or training on related BMPs.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety including proper use of personal protective equipment.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large “apply” button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to:
- Answer the supplemental questions completely.
- Attach a cover letter and resume (recommended).
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-SWR-40501.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.