WA State Department of Transportation
Please note: These are permanent and non-permanent opportunities for both the day and night shifts. Non-permanent positions may work up to 9 months. Applicants will be considered for either type of position. Some positions may be eligible for assignment pay, dependent upon the location and/or shift they are assigned.
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Olympic Region is seeking to fill multiple Highway Maintenance Worker 2 positions located in Discovery Bay, Forks, Port Angeles & Sekiu. These positions will be responsible for maintaining Washington State highways. In these roles, you will perform a variety of skilled labor including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, establishing and maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, maintaining roadside vegetation, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy maintenance work, consider applying to this position.
*** WSDOT offers outstanding benefits, a generous amount of paid time off (true work-life balance), choice of state retirement programs including a defined benefit pension plan, advancement opportunities, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information regarding our comprehensive benefits package. ****
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the HMW will:
- Maintain roadways, including ditching, patching, and hauling materials.
- Winter snow and ice removal.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Effectively use radio and phone equipment to communicate with other crewmembers and lead technician.
- Maintain roadway features such as guardrail, signs or reflective features.
- Safely operate Class A, B and C equipment with various maintenance attachments.
- Preform minor preventative maintenance and minor mechanical repairs on equipment.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Chemically, manually, and mechanically control vegetation.
- Highway debris removal, including danger tree removal.
Perform Highway Maintenance Worker 3 duties in their absence.
- Visibly demonstrate your commitment to the Department’s safety program.
Note: Permanent Highway Maintenance Worker positions are eligible for our in-training program that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Highway Maintenance Worker field, and achieve the goal class of a Highway Maintenance Worker 2. Candidates for permanent positions will be considered as a Highway Maintenance Worker depending on their qualifications.
Required qualifications for a Highway Maintenance Worker 1 ($38,376- $46,452):
- High school diploma or GED.
- A valid, unrestricted Driver’s license.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- Ability to respond to emergency call outs, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights and weekends), and perform standby duty.
- Ability to remove and transport up to 50 pounds and work on uneven and steep terrain.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work with diverse groups (oral, written, and electronic communication methods).
- Ability to report to the assigned Maintenance Facility within a 60-minute response time or be willing to relocate to meet this response time.
- Ability to obtain Class A Manual Transmission CDL without airbrake restrictions and a valid medical card within 6 months of hire; WSDOT will assist in training for this licensing requirement (some positions will require a tanker or haz-mat endorsement).
- Ability to obtain and maintain the following certifications within 6 months of hire: Flagger, First-Aid/CPR and WSDA Pesticide Applicator License.
Required qualifications for a Highway Maintenance Worker 2 ($46,452 – $56,568):
- Meet Highway Maintenance Worker 1 requirements, plus:
Class A CDL without airbrake restriction with N endorsement.
- 2 years of experience performing highway maintenance work, construction, roadway vegetation, or related experience.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience performing construction, maintenance, repair and modification of buildings. Facilities, mechanical equipment, and machinery.
- Knowledge of surrounding area.
- Experience in winter snow and ice control operations.
- Documented journeyman level tree falling experience.
- Knowledge of surrounding area.
- Experience in traffic control per MUTCD to include: planning, setting signs, and flagging.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, you will need to provide specific information detailing your work history in the “work experience” section of the application AND answer the supplemental questions. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your driving record from the Department of Licensing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-36362m.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.