WA State Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation’s (WSDOT) Port Angeles Engineering Office is seeking a Transportation Technician 3 to serve as the Documentation & Inspection Technician. In this role, you will be responsible for applying and implementing agency policies, standards and procedures for project documentation as well as other engineering tasks such as inspecting, testing, and sampling. This position provides you with the ability to experience working in varied environments, such as out in the field, in an office atmosphere, and in the laboratory
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the TT3 will:
- Assist the Construction/Design Supervisor by calculating, checking and compiling reports and pay estimates.
- Perform and review inspector calculations for accuracy.
- Serve as a materials tester who works directly with project inspectors, contractors, agencies, members of the public and stakeholders.
- Assist the Office Engineer with Change Orders.
- Perform Project file backup, file project correspondence and other documentation.
- Interpret highway construction plans, specifications, and provisions.
- Assist with design document review.
- Perform a variety of engineering support tasks including design tasks using engineering software.
Note: This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Technician field, and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Technician 2 or 3, depending on their qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
Transportation Technician 2: $47,568 – $64,008
Transportation Technician 3: $53,904 – $72,432
An ideal candidate for this position will have one of the following:
- An Associate’s degree with in emphasis in engineering, math or science or equivalent college education.
- Two years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 2.
- Two years of experience performing semi-skilled technical engineering work such as inspecting construction projects or designing and/or drafting document/plans.
- Certification as an Engineer-in-Training.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have:
- Certified General Inspector or the ability to certify within 6 months of appointment.
- A solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral to interact with diverse populations.
- Proven skills in clearly and concisely documenting project activities.
- Proficiency in utilizing computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets and design software.
- Ability to lift, manipulate and transport up to 40lbs.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedule to coincide with contractor activities as needed, including nights and weekends.
- Competent and proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite and various web browsers.
- Valid drivers’ license.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of materials testing procedures.
- Certified Inspector in Earthwork, Surface Treatments and Pavement, Hot Mix Asphalt, Cement Concrete Pavements, Structures, Cast-in-place Concrete, Foundations, Concrete Bridges, Steel Bridges, Structural Earth Walls, Tieback Walls, Concrete Walls, Drainage, Guardrail and Signing.
- Knowledge in the use of lnRoads or similar highway construction design software.
How to apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date;
- A minimum of three (3) references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies. Applications that do not have the above documents attached will not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-32327.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.