We are using AI to re-imagine traffic control.
About the Company:
Rapid Flow Technologies’ (www.rapidflow.com) mission is to improve people’s lives by using artificial intelligence (AI) to re-imagine mobility. Rapid Flow is an early stage AI company that was spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2015 and is based in Pittsburgh, PA – one of the leading markets for AI, robotics, and autonomous vehicle research and development.
By implementing Surtrac, our adaptive traffic control system, municipalities have reduced the causes of traffic congestion, pollution, and safety incidents by as much as 20-40%. Surtrac is an edge-computing AI solution installed at each intersection. It easily integrates with existing detection, traffic control, and communication systems.
About the Role:
At Rapid Flow Technologies, we want our Surtrac traffic control software to be compatible with every traffic controller, detection system, and communications system in the world. Our hardware interface team is dedicated to this mission, and this role will be one of the first full-time members of this team. As such, an ideal Interface Engineer is able to tackle hardware interface design and testing, as well as lead development and identify areas of work for future interface engineers.
Interfaces include those for traffic controllers, video detection, in-ground loops, radar, and other detection, within varying network configurations. For new interfaces, you will design fault-tolerant methods that maximize information flow while safeguarding against device and network malfunctions. For existing interfaces, you will create rigorous lab and in-field testing and define known areas of performance across network configurations. Additionally, you will work with the RapidView team to bolster our monitoring and alert system for issues that arise in real-world traffic deployments, and also to support on-device deployment automation tools.
This role is crucial to the expansion of the Surtrac network, as we move quickly toward new products that depend on network growth.
- Be the lead hardware interface design engineer for Surtrac and future products.
- Design fault-tolerant interfaces for traffic hardware, with varying communications protocols.
- Design rigorous testing and analysis for device and interface performance. – Interact with vendors/hardware companies to track down issues with their communications protocols.
- Be the primary interface with the RapidView team to develop alerts and notifications for tracking hardware issues in real time.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 5 years relevant work experience
- Experience in Python
- Experience in Linux/Unix system administration
- Experience in at least one of the following
software interface design for hardware
software for real-time communications
fault-tolerant/field hardened interfaces
- MS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- 5 years of sensor integration or hardware interface experience
- Experience leading design and testing of hardware communications interfaces
- Experience in robotics or high-uncertainty environments
To apply for this job please visit www.rapidflowtech.com.