Website Washington State Dept of Transport (WSDOT)
WSDOT is seeking an experienced maintenance professional ready and willing to provide leadership, guidance, and support for employees tasked with roadway and roadside maintenance in the Bellingham maintenance office. This is a great challenge for team minded person who thrives on being a leader in the field and wants the opportunity to work with others knowing that what you do really does make a difference on our state roads. Working in the maintenance field requires a responsible, customer service oriented, safety-minded person to accomplish assigned tasks. Recognizing that safety is a top priority, this position will often work in areas of high traffic volume while performing normal job functions.
The selected individual for this position will work in all weather conditions, be safety conscious and be available for overtime and emergency response. This position will supervise highway maintenance crews in roadway maintenance such as sweeping, vegetation management, drainage maintenance, paving, highway safety features repair, traffic control, and snow and ice operations.
Maintenance positions may include rotating or weekend shifts. This position is expected to respond to emergencies on a as needed basis 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration for commercial drivers.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Efficiently and effectively plan, budget, schedule, and supervise highway maintenance crews and operations.
- Ensure employee safety in all aspects of daily work.
- Investigate complaints and inspect assigned highway sections to determine maintenance needs, hazards, and encroachments.
- Make responsible decisions and adhere to all applicable policies and laws.
- Prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks, including emergency situations.
- Track work requests, arrange rental or lease of equipment, order and maintain materials and inventory stockpiles.
- Use personal computer to prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports.
- Develop and maintain effective, professional working relationships with staff, various state and local agencies, and the public.
- Safely operate trucks to 54,000 GVW to perform work in the field as needed.
- Train/coach/mentor/supervise staff to include completion of annual performance reviews.
- Perform Standby on a rotating basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with endorsement N and without restriction L or Z. (airbrakes restriction).
- Ability to obtain a Washington State Pesticide license within 6 months of employment.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
An ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Experience in highway maintenance, construction, or related experience.
- Experience 26,000 to 54,000 GVW dump trucks in all weather and roadside conditions, day or night, with snowplow and chemical deicer attachments.
- Professional experience in snow and ice operations as it pertains to highway maintenance.
- Experience leading and, training staff in daily operation procedures and customer service.
- Possess a WA State Flagging card and have experience in traffic control per Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) including planning, setting signs/other traffic control devices, and flagging.
- Two (2) years highway maintenance experience at the Lead Maintenance Technician level or equivalent crew leadership position.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please hit the large apply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position, you will need to insert a letter of interest and resume in the “resume text” area of your electronic application and complete the supplemental questions. Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Cody Buchanan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-NWR-10544.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2284557/maintenance-supervisor-bellingham →